Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hedgehogs

Bonjour, mes amis! My recent absence was due at first to a singing competition and then to the awful, evil flu. I'm better now and ready to blog again -LUCKY YOU, YAY!!

Having literally eaten my body weight six times over in the last two weeks to stay alive, I have now taken up the challenge of losing 7 - 10lbs before Christmas. (I've said it on Twitter now, so it has to happen.) This does mean that my baking will take a step back for a while and the cooking will take a step up. 

HOWEVER! I made this recipe for one of my trips to Dublin two weeks ago and it is so fast and SO EASY and reminds me of being a little person. My sister used to make a variation of this and we always called them 'hedgehogs." 

Hedgehogs:
4 oz butter (at room temperature)
4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a dash of milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz self raising flour

For the top:
150g raspberry jam, heated until runny
100g desiccated coconut

Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (170 fan)/ 350 Fahrenheit / Gas 4

                                                     1: CREAM THE BUTTER AND SUGAR!

2: Add the egg, vanilla and flour a little at a time, mixing as you go until all ingredients have been used.




 3:  Divide the mixture between 12 prepared lined bun cases.

4: Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

5: Lightly toast the coconut on a baking tray under a grill or in a frying pan until lightly golden.

6: Spread the jam on top of each cake and dip into the toasted coconut until coated.


EAT THEM.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I totally use those exact Cupcake cases!
It's like they sell them in Tesco or something??!
I like ze Hedgehogs - wants :)

Amy Snow said...

I got them in the local super marché. :)

You should try them sometime, I prefer it to butter icing. :)